A bit about me...
I am Rodger Williams. I was ordained as a minister by the Universal Life Church in 1999 and am licensed
to perform legally binding marriages throughout Ohio and a few other states. I graduated from the University
of Arkansas (quite a while ago!) after completing my studies in Literature, Philosophy, and Religion. I am a
full-time wedding professional. My intent is to help you have a memorable ceremony that's right for you. You will
have complete freedom in personalizing and deciding what is and is not acceptable for your ceremony.
Choosing a wedding officiant:
How do you know if you are choosing the right officiant? It is always difficult to know for
sure that the person you choose will be the best available on your wedding day.
Above all, make sure that you are completely comfortable with them and the answers
you receive from your questions. Do not be pressured into making a decision
at any time if you do not feel comfortable in doing so. If a minister pressures you to
decide too soon or to do something you don't want to do, you may want to seek out another
The decision you make will last a lifetime in your memories. Be sure the memories will be
happy ones by choosing the right wedding officiant. And remember, the couple should
be the focal point - not the officiant!
And don't forget to verify your officiant's credentials! Many people are under the
mistaken belief that because minsiters are ordained, they can perform marriages. That may
be true in some states, but Ohio requires that they also apply for and obtain an
"Authority to Solemnize Marriages" from the Secretary of State. Once licensed, ministers may
perform anywhere in Ohio.
In addition to ministers, judges may also perform marriages, but not all judges are
authorized to perform in the entire state. Feel free to contact me if you have a question
about who can and cannot perform legally binding marriages.
What you should expect from any officiant
- Being flexible and never in the way of what the couple wants
- Being patient and understanding with everyone involved in the wedding
- Being non-judgmental of a couple's circumstances or situation in life
- Being professionally dressed and punctual
- Keeping agreements -- doing what they say they will do
- Being and staying organized
- Being accessible and readily available by phone and/or e-mail
- Being enthusiastic about the ceremony and helping to make it the best it can be for the couple
Ceremonies I will perform
- I will perform secular, spiritual, interfaith and religious ceremonies.
- I will do "quickie" weddings with only a short notice.
- I will do "unusual" and unique weddings -- just ask!
- I will perform a ceremony anywhere in Ohio or in any other state that recognizes my authority to solemnize marriages.
- I do not require a meeting beforehand, but I do recommend that we discuss the ceremony.
- I will officiate gay union ceremonies with the same dignity as straight unions.
What I won't do:
- I won't jump out of planes or go underwater (although standing in water is o.k.!).
- I won't do weddings involving satanism.
- I won't do anything illegal.
- I won't perform any ceremony that I believe is wrong for any reason.
Or call (614) 208-2698