This page may not display properly in older browsers

Applying for a license

ID Requirement: Government issued ID such as drivers license, visa, passport, state ID. You need to know your social security numbers.

Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Ohio. If you are not a resident, you must get married in the county where the license is obtained. If you ARE a resident of Ohio, at least one of you MUST be a resident of the county in which you are applying. Ohio residents may use the license anywhere in the state. Licenses are valid for 60 days.

Pursuant to Ohio R.C. 3101.05 any applicant for a marriage license who is a minor must provide proof of having had marriage counseling prior to applying for the license. The counseling can be provided by clergy or a person licensed by the State of Ohio to provide counseling. Proof of counseling may be in the form of a letter to the Court from the person who provided the counseling on his or her letterhead.

Waiting Period: No waiting period.

Previously Married: Bring certified copy of divorce decree or a copy of deceased spouse's death certificate.

Fees: $40+ depending on county - Cash only. Some counties accept money orders.

Other Tests: No tests

Common Law Marriages: No longer recognized unless entered into a common law marriage before October 10, 1991.

Click here to find the marriage license contact for your county.

From the Ohio Revised Code

§ 3101.01 Persons who may be joined in marriage; minor to obtain consent.

Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. A minor must first obtain the consent of the minor's parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the child by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:

(A) An adult person;

(B) The department of job and family services or any child welfare organization certified by such department;

(C) A public children services agency.

A minor shall not be required to obtain the consent of a parent who resides in a foreign country, has neglected or abandoned such minor for a period of one year or longer immediately preceding the application for a marriage license, has been adjudged incompetent, is an inmate of a state mental or correctional institution, has been permanently deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the child and the right to have the child live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the child by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction, or has been deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the child and the right to have the child live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the child by the appointment of a guardian of the person of the minor by the probate court or by any other court of competent jurisdiction.

§ 3101.06 Denial of license.

No marriage license shall be granted when either of the applicants is under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or controlled substance or is infected with syphilis in a form that is communicable or likely to become communicable.

§ 3101.08 Who may solemnize.

An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within this state who is licensed to solemnize marriages, a judge of a county court, a judge of a municipal court, a probate judge (probate judges may perform only in their county of jurisdiction), the mayor of a municipal corporation in any county in which such municipal corporation wholly or partly lies, the superintendent of the state school for the deaf, or any religious society in conformity with the rules of its church, may join together as husband and wife any persons who are not prohibited by law from being joined in marriage.

§ 3101.09 Prohibition.

No person, except those legally authorized, shall attempt to solemnize a marriage, and no marriage shall be solemnized without the issuance of a license.

§ 3101.10 License.

A minister upon producing to the secretary of state, credentials of his being a regularly ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation, shall be entitled to receive from the secretary of state a license authorizing him to solemnize marriages in this state so long as he continues as a regular minister in such society or congregation. A minister shall produce for inspection his license to solemnize marriages upon demand of any party to a marriage at which he officiates or proposes to officiate or upon demand of any probate judge.